Sunday, April 7, 2013

Track news for the week of April 7

  • Volunteer time
How's your family doing on their volunteer time? By my records, some are done already, and some have barely begun. I ran a report this morning of the totals so far per family:

http://ctktrack.org/2013_credits.pdf

Coaches and families working special team jobs should be omitted from the list. I'm happy to go back to the meet sign-in sheets to confirm names.

Remember, per league rules, families must meet their team's volunteer requirements for their athletes to compete in the championships. I spelled this out in the newsletter two weeks ago:

http://ctktrack.blogspot.com/2013/03/track-news-for-week-of-march-24.html

It's also on our team site:

http://ctktrack.org/volunteers.shtml#policy

We're short of volunteers for the remaining meets, so there's still time to get into the league's good graces. Let me know the meets and shifts you can work and I'll add you to the master list. You can even do this online:
http://ctktrack.org/volunteers.shtml#signups

Job assignments are based on availability, but if you have your heart set on something ("Golly, I love shot put") make a note of it and I'll do my best to place you there.

We also gladly accept walk-up volunteers at meets, though I can't always guarantee that we'll find a job for you. It's better to be safe and sign up in advance.

  • Relay meet complete
 
I hope everyone who was able to attend this year's relay meet had a good time. The drizzle held off until just as I was driving away: perfect timing! Results should be up in a few days, though getting relays loaded into Athletic.net is something of an art. I'll do my best to match up all the names, especially from the mix-and-match teams.

  • Practice resumes this week

Practice as usual, 5:00pm on Tuesday and Thursday at College Park. There is a lacrosse game scheduled for Tuesday the 9th, so please do not head to the stadium if that's going on. (If the scoreboard is lit up, there's a game going.) Watch for me or the coaches on the blacktop basketball courts to direct you if we have to surrender the track for the day.

I have the ribbons from the meet on March 23, and plan to get those to the coaches on Tuesday to hand out at the end of practice.
  • Two practice meets left: April 13 (YVHS) and April 20 (DVC)
If the weather continues to cooperate, we have two practice meets left. Athletes must have participated in two such meets this season to be eligible to run in the Qualifying meet, and their families must be working their volunteer time as above. After that, the championships get started.

CORRECTION: I had said both meets were at DVC. I had that wrong -- we're back at Ygnacio Valley on the 13th and DVC on the 20th.
  • Qualifying meet April 27
The end of the month marks the start of the championship season: starting with the Qualifying meet, only athletes who place in the top three overall -- plus alternates -- may progress to the next week's meet. I'll be talking more about this in the weeks to come, and I'm happy to answer questions during practice, too.

Even if your athlete doesn't place in the championships, they are still encouraged to come to practice.
  • Saturday June 1: save the date!
Mark your calendars now; our end-of-season potluck picnic and awards extravaganza is scheduled for Saturday June 1 from 11:30am to 3:30pm-ish at Pleasant Hill Park on Gregory Lane. We're back at picnic area #3, which is next to the new teen center.

http://ctktrack.org/picnic_site.png

This is always a lot of fun, and a chance for the athletes to see their track friends again before summer.  We draw for prizes for the super-helpful families, thank the coaches, and say one last farewell to the massive Lost & Found pile.

More details to come as we get closer to the date, but if you're able to make it, we'd love to see your family there.


No comments: