Friday, March 25, 2011

CTK Track News for the week of 21 Mar 2011...

Hi Track Families,

Several years ago, I cancelled the Mini Meet due to expected bad weather and the day turned out to be beautiful.  Ever since then, I have been very reluctant to call off a meet or even a practice lest the weather prove me over-cautious.  After Saturday's outing at Ice Station Ygnacio, I don't expect any of you will consider me over-cautious in the weather arena again.  All I can is that at 6am when we made the decision to go ahead, the weather forecast looked relatively benign until noon.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thank you very much to the many heroic parents who fulfilled their volunteer responsibilities admirably despite the conditions.  It was impressive.  If any of the second-shift volunteers are concerned that they somehow lost volunteer credit due to the early cessation of festivities, fear not: I have asked Katy to credit everyone who was signed up for Meet #2.  (I even asked her to give extra credit to a couple of stalwarts who went above and beyond.)  Thank you again!

This Week
Practice - Tuesday 5pm-6:30pm at College Park HS track
Practice - Thursday 5pm-6:30pm at College Park HS track
Meet #3 - Saturday 9am at San Ramon Valley HS track

Our meet this week is with the only team bigger than ours, the combined forces of St. Isidore  and St. Joan of Arc.  Last year, we hosted our meet with them so this year, it's their turn.  This will result in volunteer assignments being changed from what is currently posted since they are in charge of assigning the jobs.  Katy and I will try to match our parents to their existing jobs where possible, but it pains me to say that some of you on the Meet #3 Volunteers list may wind up unemployed next weekend.  Please stay tuned.  I will send out a special email when the updated jobs are posted.

Looking ahead, our schedule for Meet #4 has changed since I first published it.  Instead of traveling down to Livermore to run at Granada HS, we'll be back at Ygnacio Valley HS (have I mentioned it's my alma mater?) on April 2.  Let's see if we have better weather for our return.

Last Chance for Refunds
We are aware that there are a number of athletes signed up for our team who have not shown up for practice or meets in some time, if ever.  If your child is one of these athletes, please send me a message by Friday, March 25, if you want to make it official that they are not doing track.  If your child drops after that date, I will have paid our league fees and your chance at even a partial refund will disappear.  Poof!

Pictures
It's been a long time since we've had such great pictures from our meets, and now there are even more since Demaris Cleland has joined Paul Nuti in posting pictures on Shutterfly.  If you haven't received an invitation (possibly since you joined the team late), contact Paul at p_nuti@yahoo.com to request an invitation.  Paul even took a few pictures Saturday at YV.  Thanks, Paul and Demaris!

CTK Parent Education Talk
I was asked to let you all know about an upcoming talk:  On Wednesday, March 23, 2011 at 7pm in the Church, Christ the King School’s Parent Teacher Group will sponsor a talk by Dr. Glenn Brassington, entitled, “Excellence is No Accident: Mental Skills Training for Success and Creativity in Academics, Sports, and the Performing Art.”  Read more


See you on the track,

carl

--
Carl Godkin
CTK/St.C/St.S Track & Field Coordinator
280-9748
Visit http://www.ctktrack.org/

No comments: