The meet starts at 8:30am sharp, and they call the 4x100m relays early, so plan to arrive early, and then try to be there a bit before.
Order of events is different than practice meets, so please have a copy of this on hand:
Sectionals are popular, and our team usually gets together in the away-side stands or the lawn near the corner where the 200m races line up. It's less crowded back there. The team's banner will be hung near our encampment.
I labeled an old Google Maps shot to show how the meet is usually set up:
Volunteer assignments are linked from our team site and listed on Signup Genius:
Remember to Bring
- Cash for the gate: $4 for adults, $2 for kids and seniors - exact change if you can manage
- Extra cash for programs, the snack shack, maybe a winery on the way home :-)
- Water and sun protection
- A copy of the order of events
- Check in with Gina or Mike at the Snack Shack if you have a volunteer job or are an assigned "fill-in" person.
- Have your athlete(s) check in with their coaches. The league reversed course, so Coach Trish has stickers for athletes to wear.
- Find a spot to sit: you can be with the team or on your own, but listen for the calls. This is vital.
- All tents and umbrellas need to be in the back rows of the stands, or on the lawn where they don't block views and traffic. There's a camera system at the finish line, and the area opposite is supposed to be kept clear.
- Athletes check-in on the softball field behind the snack shack for races and the field event locations as usual for jumping and throwing. No parents or coaches may be in the clerk area or helicoptering around the field events. You may escort athletes to the gate, but not go beyond. Marshals are stationed at each gate to gently yet firmly turn you away. Pestering a meet official will get your athlete disqualified.
- Check-in ONLY when the grade is called. Events will close. Races take priority. If an athlete is jumping/throwing and hears their race called, they need to:
- Tell the event official that they have a race and which race it is
- Get to the clerks behind snack shack, sign in, and stay there
- Return to the field event as soon as their race is over
- Alternates check in as soon as the race is called. Alternates in races need to stay put with the clerks. You won't know if you're running until the head clerk closes the event or all the regular athletes check in. I would recommend staying until they are actually walked out to the start line.
Have fun! It's awesome if your athlete places, and I hope they do. This is a best-of-the-best meet from our section, and the competition will be strong.
Please keep your athletes focused on what matters: trying for personal bests, hanging out with their teammates, and enjoying the day. Whether they leave the track with a first-place finish, or just a pat on the shoulder and a "maybe next time," keep always your senses of sportsmanship and perspective.
See you at the track.